At the end of last year I decided that my 8×8 Vegetable patch needed some work. It was floor level and although we added a fence to keep the dogs out, it was hard to manage due to the size and layout. So I drew up some crude plans, researched lumber, and handed the project over to Hubby for him to determine the details.
I decided to go with something that was a bit more interesting to the eye verses two 4×8 beds with a path down the middle. I decided on two 3×6 beds with a 3×3 in the corner so I was able to work on both sides of the bed easily and also create some levels to give the structure something to catch the eye. I added a 3×3 in front with a path between to frame the space. Ultimately, I did not change the footprint of the space too drastically as I moved everything back toward the fence and closer to the shed.
After some research, I decided on cedar because of it’s durability without needing chemicals. It is more expensive, but it should last fifteen years.
Our local Menards had everything we needed and was able to cut the 12ft timber into more manageable 9ft and 3ft sections (they then fit in my car). Hubby cut and assembled the frames over a couple of weekends. Prior to filling, we cleared the area of weeds with a strimmer and put a weed barrier down inside the containers and also along the path. Then we filled the beds with a nutrient rich dirt from a local garden center. I had them deliver it out front of the house and then we filled the containers. When I say we, I mean Hubby, Granna, and Grumpy as Bear decided she needed to nurse all day and only allowed me to supervise. We then soaked the dirt to settle it down and to add moisture before planting.
Granna a great idea and put down mulch for the path area instead of grass. It is holding up quite nicely. I do want to add a lip around the top to finish off the planters, but otherwise I am really happy with how it has turned out.
Now everything has grown in and it’s a bit of a jungle, but the veggies are doing well. We have green beans galore right now!
…and hopefully we will have tons of winter squash too. Had an attack of squash borer earlier in the season, so my vines are recovering and I had to reseed my summer squash.